Bulk braiding hair is an excellent way to achieve long-lasting and versatile hairstyles. Whether you're creating stunning box braids or incorporating it into a protective style, bulk braiding hair is a valuable asset, offering numerous styling options. However, over time, some of these hair extensions tend to become frayed or lose elasticity, leading to a less appealing look. To ensure that your bulk braiding hair stays in good condition, here are some tips and tricks that will help you keep it looking great.
1. Careful Installation: The first step in protecting your bulk braiding hair is ensuring the correct installation. Ensure that the hair extension is secured tightly before braiding. This will help to prevent any unnecessary tension on the hair extension, ensuring that it stays in place for a more extended period. Ensure the extension is not pulled too tight; otherwise, it could result in hair breakage.
2. Avoid Tugging and Pulling: To prevent your bulk braiding hair from becoming frayed, avoid pulling and tugging unnecessarily. Constant tugging and pulling can cause tangling, which can result in knots that will be difficult to undo. If you need to brush or comb your braids, do so gently, ensuring that you do not pull too hard.
3. Consistent Moisture: Moisture is essential for both your natural hair and bulk braiding hair. Ensure the hair extensions are adequately moisturized throughout the braiding process. Spraying your hair extensions with a leave-in conditioner is a great way to keep it moisturized. Similarly, apply a light oil mist on the extension for added moisture to keep it looking healthy and soft.
4. Night-time Care: Ensure that you undo any tight braids or buns before going to bed. This will help prevent tangling and breakages that can occur while tossing and turning in your sleep. Covering your hair with a silk scarf or bonnet at night can also prevent it from becoming dry or frizzy during the night.
5. Avoiding Heat: Just like natural hair, bulk braiding hair is also vulnerable to heat. Avoid overusing heat styling tools like flat irons and curling wands, as they can cause severe damage to the hair extensions. If you must use heat styling tools, ensure that you apply heat protectant products on the hair extension, which will reduce heat damage.
Bulk braiding hair is an excellent accessory for achieving various beautiful and long-lasting hairstyles. However, to keep it in good condition and ensure that it lasts longer, you must take proper care of it. By following these tips and tricks, you can prevent breakages, fraying, and tangling of your bulk braiding hair. Protecting your braids does not have to take too much time, the steps outlined above will keep your braids looking beautiful for longer, and you can have more confidence when rocking them wherever you go.